Breaking News

MY EXPERIENCE OF BEING AN ONLY CHILD- George Oluwatomilayo? Episodes 2

Syngossip news
Continued from (EPISODE 1)📜

WHAT IS IT LIKE GROWING UP AS AN ONLY CHILD - George Oluwatomilayo


TRUTHFULLY, it sucked.👇

I’ll try and pinpoint the ways in which I subjectively believe that I suffered. I am aware that many of these issues are first-world problems but that’s my experience of the world, alas: as a first world citizen with problems that are, or were, real to me.

I GREW UP ALONE

My parents always wanted to protect me but they took it to extremes. I wasn’t allowed to go out on my own until a very late age, even though I was often left home alone. We had no immediate family and no extended family whatsoever such as Cousins, Uncles, Aunts and Grandparents. I never gelled with any of the kids from my community, and my parents didn’t
like me associating with the neighborhood kids whom they saw as a bad influence. Kids at school thought I was pretty weird and I always felt like an outsider, so I really didn’t have any constant people in my
childhood except my parents. Everyone else was just whoever happened to be around – I couldn’t really call them friends, and no-one persisted beyond school days.

LACK OF SIMPLE LIFE EXPERIENCE

I wasn’t pushed much to deal with situations outside my comfort zone, nor with people who were challenging or from a variety of different backgrounds. I never tried
activities that are a normal part of childhood. I never knew unpredictability. A big part of life experience really is interaction with others. I didn’t know that then – I thought the rich world of my imagination was a substitute for actually living life! I didn’t really ever feel comfortable around others because it required so much effort. It didn’t feel natural. I didn’t have people to learn silly random
things from and who might in turn know me. I never felt a sense of self-worth. There was so much I didn’t understand and so many ways I felt I was a million miles from being a normal, worthwhile person.

LACK OF SOCIAL INTERACTION

I had an astonishingly tiny amount of interaction with other humans who weren’t my parents. I remember once going in to the dentist when I was about 9, and saying ‘HELLO’ instead of ‘BYE’ when I was leaving, because every time I spoke it was a huge effort to remember my words. Simple speaking felt like an elaborate performance, and I’d get stage fright. And there was no language barrier – English is the only language I have ever spoken then. I longed for someone to
share themselves with me. I was crippled by shyness and I believe this was a factor in my being a very good Writer, almost every night for my entire teens I write, and soliloquies to myself every night on bed. I found it very difficult to relate to, and empathize with people. I escaped by writing to Pen-Pals I’d never meet when I was in my mid-to late teens.

George Oluwatomilayo
☝'A Modern Ancient Lady'💎,TV Presenter & Producer Rythme FM Lagos🎬📺/Model📸

Also read: WHAT IS IT LIKE GROWING UP AS AN ONLY CHILD  episode 1

Email us to Add your Story: syngossipnews@gmail.com

No comments

Drop your comments here. Let us know what's your take on this post