Breaking News

I believe a brighter day will come.


According to reports, Nigeria has the highest burden of sickle cell disorder in the world. Over 40 million Nigerians are carriers of the sickle cell gene. Every year, 150,000 babies are born with sickle cell anemia in Nigeria. People with sickle cell usually suffer severe painful conditions. Pain. This is one word people living with the sickle cell disorder are very familiar with. Living a life filled with intense discomfort, an uncertain lifespan and uncountable hospital visits can change one's perspective on life. More often than not, it destroys a hopeful and optimistic spirit. However, this is not the case for an amazing sickle cell warrior identified as Japheth Ezekiel Maichibi, whose view on life is beautiful and inspiring, despite his condition. In a recent interview with Legit.ng, Maichibi opens up about his 29-year-old harrowing battle with the disorder and hope for the future. The young man who has known pain all his life remains unable to finish school due to his condition Source: Original The Nasarawa indigene who comes from a family of six; four boys and 2 girls, described living with sickle cell disorder as "having its good and bad side with the bad, having the highest percentage" For the 29-year-old, it has being a "journey of undefined pains; pains words can't describe." Following the criticisms that parents of sickle cell patients are often faced with, Maichibi revealed that he does not blame his parents for his condition. In his words: "My parents got married in the 70s when there was no awareness to talk about theses things. I won't say I'm a mistake or a result of ignorance. I love myself and I don't blame anyone for what's happening to me. I had the opportunity of going to school even though it was on and off due to my condition. I had a lot of in-and-out-of-hospital experiences growing up.


No comments

Drop your comments here. Let us know what's your take on this post